Goshen UMC has always been a church full of history. As one
of the oldest public buildings in Southeast Georgia, the historic sanctuary has
gone through several changes over the years. Though it still stands as a beacon
of hope and a remembrance of the "good old days,” it is now utilized for
Sunday School and is available to rent for weddings and other special
occasions. Our Sunday morning worship services are now held in the larger
facility next door. This expansion has allowed us to add new programs, expand
our small group ministry, and provide a facility that has become an integral
part of our community outreach.
Despite the many changes in Goshen’s past, one thing has always remained the
same…our commitment to God and our dedication to the community around us. Our
mission is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the
world. We are more than just a church; we are a home.
We are constantly looking toward the future, finding new and exciting ways to
reach those in our community without a church home. We understand that many
people have never been involved in church or have become disheartened in prior
church settings. We want to show that God’s love isn’t “stuffy, boring, or
without promise.” God’s love is…exciting, fulfilling, encouraging, and most
importantly…yours! Come see what God has in store for you.
Goshen Church was built about 1751. It was served by the early pastors of the
Salzburgers, and later for a short time by the Moravian missionaries. The
church remained a part of the Ebenezer Charge until after the Revolutionary
War. In 1820, the Methodist Church was organized at Goshen, under the direction
of the Rev. James O. Andrew, and was allowed to use the Goshen church edifice.
The actual deed to the property was transferred to the Methodist Conference
several years later. Among the first members of the Goshen Methodist Church
were: David Gougle and his daughters; Mrs. Nowlan, wife of Major Nowlan; Major
and Mrs. John Charlton. The Rev. Lewis Myers moved to Goshen about 1823, and
served the Methodist Church here for many years.
For more than half a century, Goshen Church was served by Lutheran pastors who
preached in German. Because of the language problem, in the 1790’s, Pastor
Bergman invited his friend, Bishop Asbury, to send Methodist preachers to
preach there. A generation later it became a Methodist Church.
Originally the building was located on the banks of the Savannah River between
Ebenezer and Savannah. Sometime in the 1820’s it was sawed in half and moved
out of the swamp and re-assembled at its present location. It is almost
certainly one of the oldest public buildings standing in the state of Georgia
in continuous use.
107 Goshen Road
Rincon, GA 31326
Sunday Virtual Worship
Or use our contact form.
All the latest news and events at Goshen UMC
Sunday, July 12, 2020
9:00 am Worship in the Pines
Sunday, July 12, 2020
10:30 am on FB Live
Events at Goshen